- ½ cup (115g) Butter
- ¼ cup (75g) Honey
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup (240g) Buttermilk
- 1 cup (120g) Cornmeal
- 1 cup (125g) Plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup (160g or 1 corn cob) Corn kernels (optional)
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1 Tomato
- 1 small piece (1 Tablespoon) Red Onion
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 Lemon or Lime
- 2 stalks Coriander
- 1 pinch Chilli flakes
- Salt, pepper
- 2 rashers Streaky bacon
- Preheat the oven to 210C.
- Weigh the butter up in a glass jug and melt in the microwave.
- Remove any leaves from the corn cob and cut the kernels from the cob. Reserve.
- Place the baking dish in the oven to heat up.
- In a large bowl combine honey, egg and buttermilk. Take 2 Tablespoons of melted butter out of the glass jug and place into a separate bowl for greasing the baking dish later. Add the rest of the slightly cooled melted butter to the honey mix and whisk together.
- Place cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into another big bowl and combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the corn kernels and mix in.
- Carefully take the hot baking dish out of the oven. Brush with the reserved butter and pour in the batter.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Line another baking dish or a baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut the bacon in half diagonally. Place the bacon in the dish or on the tray and put in the oven together with the cornbread. Cook the bacon until it is crispy. You need to check on a regular basis. When it is cooked take it out and reserve.
- Clean the cutting board and knife thoroughly with hot, soapy water after use. Remember to wash your hands.
- Cut the avocado in half, take the stone out, scoop out the flesh with a tablespoon and place into a small bowl. Mash with a fork.
- Wash and dry the tomato, cut in half and into slices and then into fine dice. Add to the avocado.
- Finely chop the red onion and add.
- Crush and peel the garlic and finely chop. Add.
- Juice the lemon and measure 1/8 cup. Add the 1/8 cup to the avocado mix.
- Wash and dry the coriander, finely chop and add.
- Add chilli flakes, salt and pepper and mix well.
Serve the warm cornbread together with the bacon and guacamole. Alternatively, you can serve the cornbread with honey and butter, if you like a sweet accompaniment.
After a recipe for cornbread by Sally’s baking Addiction: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/honey-skillet-cornbread/
- 1 large frying pan (28cm)
- Baking dish
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Glass jug
- Pastry brush
- 2 large bowls
- 2 small bowls
- Rubbish bowl
- Cutting board and knife